The Harvard Knitting Project

Sunday, November 26, 2006

socks for EVAH




So I've been home for thanksgiving (hooray!) and I've been knitting a LOT...(and not doing my homework a LOT)...

1. The momsocks are finished (and lovely, if I do say so. Great pattern --- knitty's "straitlaced"). I put them on while I was at Tessa's place in Santa Cruz and it took so much willpower to take them off again! I think she's going to love them...I left them at home though, wrapped in some paper, so I hope she's not feeling nosy.

2. One dadsock is finished. I have to get more black Baby Ull (from norway!) before I can knit the other one. They're "red herring" from knitty, in case you hadn't noticed, and while I really liked the way the colorwork ended up looking, it got really monotonous after about 6 inches (the pattern calls for 9.5 in of leg, I knit 8.5 because I just couldn't go on with it...). I didn't use the recommended yarn, and I used two different yarns for the different colors, which may have been a mistake. I did do a gauge swatch, but I didn't end up making any modifications because my gauge was just a little biggeer than the pattern's, and my dad's feet are pretty big. The sock came out wonky, though... they're going to need a lot of blocking. I've never blocked before! I guess now is as good a time as any to start.

3. Kavita's teddy bear. My first teddy. Vintage garage-sale brown wool. GORGEOUS. SO GORGEOUS! I am so happy with this bear, I almost want to keep it! But I'm not going to post a picture until I give it to her.

In other news, what is up with this whole knitting-socks-on-two-circulars thing? A woman on the plane saw me knitting the momsocks on dpns (I would never DREAM of purchasing two circulars when I have perfectly good size 2 dpns already) and was really surprised. She said she'd only ever seen or heard of people knitting socks on two circulars. What gives?! when did this trend start? Does the 2-circular method produce better socks, or is the public just deadly afraid of dpns? Persnally, I love my pointy sticks. Bendy sticks just don't do it for me.

SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS! Knit socks, everybody!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home